Views

T-Shirt Hell

Photobucket

Opinion Outpost

The Official Website of National-Level Bodybuilder Gerri Davis

Gerri Davis Banner, NPC National Level Heavyweight and Masters Female Bodybuilder

Monday, August 29, 2011

Top 10 Current WWE Entrance Themes

Writing lists are fun, relatively easy, and almost always make for some good debates (especially with people I know and talk to regularly). Even more fun than that are wrestling lists, as there's always going to be people who disagree with you. I've done a few in the past, both for my blog here and for columns over at Camel Clutch Blog and I've always gotten pretty good feedback, so I figured, what the hell, I'll do it again.

Throughout the years, wrestling has seen a lot of very memorable and catchy entrance themes. The WWF/E has especially always had some great themes. Although most of the best themes you can recall have all been written or at least produced by the extremely talented Jim Johnston, wrestlers in the WWE have also been lucky enough to be afforded licensed music thanks to Vince McMahon's deep pockets, as well as songs produced by the aforementioned Johnson, but performed by various actual bands.

While the great ones over the years are far too numerous to mention in one top ten list, what are the best ones used by the WWE today? While it seems like the great entrance themes are becoming few and far between with each passing year, I still managed to scour the roster and pick out what I consider to be the top ten best current themes.

10. "Gold-Lust" by Jim Johnston (Goldust)
Goldust has been in the WWE off and on since 1995, resulting in him re-inventing his character on numerous occasions. However, his entrance music has always stayed the same. Sure, there have been a few tweaks to it here and there, but overall, it's been the same song for the last 16 years. The song fits his character so well. Although he started his gimmick as a movie buff and it was designed to sound like the theme from a Hollywood movie (if you listen closely, it sounds very similar to the theme from John Carpenter's Halloween films), he has kept it with every tweak to the gimmick and it has never, ever felt out of place. It's dark and mysterious, much like the Goldust character itself, and it completely fits his eccentric personality. I almost didn't include this one due to Goldust seemingly retiring earlier this year, but due to him hinting at a return to the ring once his shoulder is healed, it makes the cut. However, since his future is not 100% certain, it gets the #10 spot.



9. "Glamazon" by Jim Johnston (Beth Phoenix)
Beth Phoenix is glamorous and powerful, hence her nickname "The Glamazon". As such, she deserves an entrance theme to reflect that. One of the reasons I like this theme so much is it's so unlike every other diva entrance theme in the WWE. All the other divas use either godawful house, techno or pop music that just makes you want to shove a pencil in your ear. Beth's theme, on the other hand, sounds like it would belong in a superhero TV show or movie. Beth is a unique "diva" (I hate that word) and has one of the more unique entrance themes to match.

8. "Domination" by Evan Jones (Ezekiel Jackson)
Admittedly, this is a recycled theme. It was originally used for the ill-fated "Brawl for All" tournament the WWF held in 1998. However, it was a good theme then, and it's a good theme now. Although Jim Johnston actually composed the song, he had Jones (who I've never heard of) add some rap lyrics, and boom! A new entrance theme was created. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Big Zeke, this entrance theme is very fitting for him. The lyrics are all about domination and, until a few weeks ago, that's what Zeke had been doing his entire WWE tenure.

7. "New Foundation" by Jim Johnston (Natalya)
The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) always had a great entrance theme, as did Bret Hart when he began his solo WWF career. So, when his beautiful niece Natalya debuted along with cousin David Hart Smith and longtime boyfriend (and unofficially adopted Hart family member) Tyson Kidd to form The Hart Dynasty, it only made sense that they got a theme similar to uncle Bret. The Hart Dynasty has since disbanded, but after the break-up, Natalya continued to use the theme. It has the same starting notorious guitar riff that welcomed Bret all those years, but is a little faster-paced and harder to give it a more modern sound.

6. "Bad Karma" by Jim Johnston (Kharma)
Although we didn't get to hear it very much as Kharma had to take a medical leave of absence from the WWE before she even had her first televised match (for those that don't know, she got pregnant; Can't wait for you to come back, Kharma! The WWE needs you), you can't deny how great her entrance theme was. Nothing like it had ever been done for a "diva" before. It began with Kharma laughing like a lunatic, followed by haunting and disturbing guitar riffs seemingly ripped straight from a horror film. Prior to her leave, Kharma was well on her way to destroying the entire WWE divas roster, and had an entrance theme that just sounded like whoever was coming out was going to do nothing but kick 87 different kinds of ass. It fit perfectly because, not only is Kharma a scary sight, but she can legitimately kick 87 different kinds of ass.

5. "I Came To Play" by Downstait (The Miz)
Now we get to the top 5. While I am no fan of The Miz in any capacity, it can't be denied that he has a great entrance theme, one of the best in the entire company (hence his placing on the list). I had never heard Downstait before he got his entrance theme, and have only heard them once since (they also do Alex Riley's entrance theme). While I don't envision myself being a fan of theirs or even listening to them on a regular basis, this is a great song. It's got a good beat, catchy lyrics, and fits Miz's personality perfectly.

4. "La Vittoria e Mia (Victory Is Mine)" by Jim Johnston
I love Santino Marella, but we have to face the fact that he will probably never be anything more than a comedy wrestler. That's why it's so surprising that he has such a kick-ass entrance theme. The lyrics are all in Italian, which is probably the most beautiful language on Earth. Add to it hard hard-hitting guitar riffs and a great beat, and you've got the formula for an awesome entrance theme. Plus, it's kind of an ironically funny entrance theme when you consider the fact that Santino rarely ever scores a victory.

3. "Written In My Face" by Sean Jenness (Sheamus)
Although I understand Sheamus is getting a new version of this entrance theme done by Celtic punk band Flatfoot 56, the version I'm still hearing on TV is the Sean Jenness version, so that's the one that gets the nod here. I'm not sure exactly what it is I love about Sheamus' theme, but it's one of my favorite entrance themes of the last 10 years or so. Maybe it's because it's performed by an authentic Irish musician and doesn't sound like a reject from the Highlander movies or a Lucky Charms commercial. Either way, it somehow fits "The Celtic Warrior" like a glove.

2. "Radio" by Watt White (Zack Ryder)
Not only is Zack Ryder one of my favorite wrestlers, but he has one of the best wrestling themes of all time. Sure, it's a total rip-off of Corey Hart's "I Wear My Sunglasses At Night", one of many one-hit wonder songs of the 80's. But hey, if you're going to rip-off an 80's hit for your comedy wrestler, you might as well rip off one of the funniest ones. Honestly, there probably isn't a catchier song in pro wrestling right now. I've seen wrestlers at indy shows sing it in their down time, for L. Ron Hubbard's sake. When other wrestlers are singing your entrance theme, you know it's a hit.

1. "Cult Of Personality" by Living Colour (CM Punk)
Honestly, with as big of a fan as I am of CM Punk, was there any doubt that this would top the list? Yes, I'm being biased here, but screw you, it's my list. Honestly though, I've been a fan of this song since it originally came out nearly a full 22 years ago. To see one of my all-time favorite wrestlers resurrect it for an entrance theme and do it with a style and flair in a way only he can, it's like I found an appreciation for the song all over again. Plus, if you listen to the words of the song, it's pretty fitting for CM Punk's gimmick as an anti-hero with a "do as I please" attitude.

So, there you have my list. Now, it's time for feedback. What do you, my billions and billions of readers think of my list? If you were going to do the same list, what songs would make your list? What songs on my list would you leave off, and why? Leave me a comment below to let me know what you think.

6 comments:

  1. All in all, this is a pretty solid list. I personally don't care much for Goldust or Ezekiel Jackson's themes, but that's just my opinion.

    I would like to see you do a top 50 entrance themes of all time. I'd be curious to see what would make that cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Batista's first theme? That tune made him look really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-ipL-oNSE

    ReplyDelete
  4. @M: That's why this tye 10 best CURRENT WWE themes. Batista does not work for the WWE, hence he was ineligible for this list. And peesonally, I think his music sucked anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you're right. Hey, I like your raw review columns @ the camel clutch blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. @M: Thanks! Always appreciate the feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete